Yosa interview


We went ahead and had a little chat with our friend from Japan, Yosa. Get to know him because he'll be visiting this side of the world, on tour, early next year.

SAS: Complete name, and place you are right now.
Y: My name is YOSA(Yosuke Kanda), based in Tokyo.

SAS: Where do your influences come from?
Y: All my influences are coming from black music, especially Jazz.
The classics like Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Oscar Peterson, Ahmad Jamal etc.Esbjorn Svensson Trio
are quite recent artists but they have had a very big influence on me.

SAS: When did you get into electronic music making? What software do you use and why?
Y: I was a big fan of the mix which Timmy Regisford made for Shelter Club, and I sarted DJing when I was in high school. And after graduating from high school, I started making music by myself. I use ableton LIVE. It's the most flexible software I believe.

SAS: Do you play any instruments and if yes, when did you start playing?
Y: I’m not really a skilled instruments player, but thanks to the growth of technology, I’m rarely in trouble of musical stuff.

SAS: Got any hardware?
Y: Yes, I use Roland Fantom X. This is my first ever synthesizer but I still use it. Many hip hop producers use this, and also I saw Martinez Brothers use it on their video on youtube.

SAS: Where do you get inspiration from? How do you start a track?
Y: I get inspiration from all the stuff I see or hear. Music gives me inspiration of course, but also I get it from people, cities and food.
When I start a track, I program the rhythm first. I believe that a groovy rhythm is the most important thing about dance music, so I really care about it. I like organic groove tracks, so I also sample percussion from old records. It makes the track (a)live!

SAS: How's the underground scene in Tokyo?
Y: There is actually a good scene in Tokyo. But still, there are just a few artists who i really wish to be a part of world-wide scene. There are many talented Japanese artists, but most of them have been buried. I think Japanese artists should turn their eyes to the world more.

SAS: Who's your favorite recent producer and why?
Y: My all time hero is Henrik Schwarz. His productions have a very good balance between home-listening music and the dancy club tracks. In November, me and Henrik’s split 12inch will be out on Compost Black Label. It’s the remix EP for Marsmobil, but I’m really glad to be included in the release with him.
I listened to his remix yesterday, and it was amazing as always. And about my remix, I got the inspiration from the pop taste of Dixon’s mix “temporary secretary”. While I was making it, I imagined that Dixon played this in his mix.

SAS: What's your position on music fraud and blogging?
Y:
I think it depends on the artist's sense of value to music. If the artists really want to spread and share their music to the world, this situation is quiet good. I know most of the artists care about money, and some people say that's the way for professionals, but originally, we make music for fun, and to sympathize with people. So personally, if someone listens to my music and they are touched by it, it means more than money for me even if they don't pay for it.
I just want people who download music for free, to go to the gig if they like the artist's music.


SAS: What was peoples reaction to the first release you ever played out? What about your feeling?
Y: My first release was the track called “Desmond” on Coyu’s label Suara Rec when I was 19. I was so surprised that Steve Lawler played it in his essential mix for BBC, and the clubs all over the world. Since then, I’ve been releasing tracks constantly, and recently I’ve got a great reaction about my EP on Drumpoet Community.


1 comments:

FAQ said...

pai hai sa-l vedem pe om in carne si oase!

 
Clicky Web Analytics